Like it or not, homes and business properties are ideal breeding grounds for certain species of cockroaches. With plenty of food, warmth, water and nesting sites, these formidable pests can remain active all year round.
Top 5 Cockroach Prevention Tips
Learn the top 5 ways of preventing cockroaches from infesting in your property:
- Eliminate food sources - The most effective way to deter cockroaches is to deny them food, water and shelter. To get rid of them, get rid of what sustains them –
- Do not leave liquids in sinks or buckets
- Do not leave food sitting out on counters
- Store dry foods in tightly sealed containers
- Rinse cans, bottles and plastics before putting them in recycling bins
- Empty the rubbish on a daily basis
- Clean - Clear all waste food and liquid spillage, cleaning up food debris from food preparation areas, under sinks and appliances. Remove pet food, drink and litter trays before nightfall.
- De-clutter - Cockroaches release an aggregation pheromone in their droppings telling others they have found a safe harborage. Remove old stacks of newspapers and magazines, unused cardboard boxes and all other forms of clutter from the floor or bottom of cupboards where these pests have easy access.
- Take preventive measures
- Varnish or paint wood shelves to seal them, and wipe them clean regularly
- Check key risk areas where cockroaches may gain entry into the home – cracks, crevices, vents, sewers and pipe drains
- Seal areas such as cracks in walls, around skirting boards, behind electrical sockets, under kitchen sinks and bathroom cabinets to reduce potential hiding areas
- Take prompt action - Without specialist know-how and equipment, cockroach control can sometimes be a losing battle. Should you have an existing cockroach problem not responding to a DIY approach, contact a pest control professional.